The village’s name Lisznyó is of Slavic origin meaning “forest”. It was a village paying taxes at the beginning of the 14th century. Its name is mentioned in the Pope’s Records in 1332.
It is situated in the valley of the Bodza Mountains, in the eastern part of the Háromszek hollow. The population is 447 (2002 census).
Touristic values: the Reformed Church monument, found in the centre of the village, which is surrounded by a circular fortress, the remains of a castle. Its tower was built on the remains of the castle. The church has some elements of gothic style. Its bell is also considered a monument, which was cast by Lampen Heinrich in 1693.
In Lisznyó, one can also find an old Greek Catholic Church and an Eastern Greek Church, which were built in the respect of Saint Peter and Paul. The latter’s bell was cast in 1796. One can also find the manor-house of Tivadar Bedő.
Famous people from Lisznyó: Pál Kováts (1630-1695) teacher, writer of chronicles; Kálmán L. Damó (1823-1863) poet and revolutionary; András Dancsuly (born 1921) writer, teacher; Jenő Vargha (born 1924) chemist, teacher and György Kese (1906-1977) doctor and vocational writer were also born here.
Investment possibilities: timber industry, handicraft (pottery, there is good quality yellow clay), agriculture (mainly livestock breeding) and rural tourism.