Szentivánlaborfalva is a twin village on the right bank of the Fekete Ügy River, on the eastern edge of the Szépmező plain, across the Rétyi Nyír, along road E-574. Szentivánlaborfalva, as we know it today, evolved from the merging of the two villages Szentiván and Laborfalva in 1909. The population was 797 after the 2002 census. The village is mentioned for the first time in 1332, and it was named after the church’s patron saint, Szent János or Szent Iván (Saint John or Saint Ivan).
Its name became known after Mór Jókai’s first wife Róza Laborfalvi (born Judit Beke 1817-1886) who was an exceptional drama actress. Among its touristic attractions are the Roman Catholic Church monument and the Grave Chapel with its baroque gable and hussar tower. The Unitarian Church from Laborfalva was built in 1826, which has a memorial tablet, for Mózsa Berde (1815-1899) who was a participant and leader of the 1848-49 war of independence.
Mansions and manor-houses: Szentiváni mansion, Apor-Henter manor-house, Bucs-Gall house designed by architect Károly Kós, with a monumental Szekler gate.
The village tradition of the mill factory exists even today.
Famous people of Szentivánlaborfalva: Dániel Márkos of Szentiván (1618-1680) teacher in Kolozsvár, Unitarian Bsihop; Áron Berde of Laborfalva (1818-1892) university teacher, first Rector of the Scientific University of Kolozsvár, and correspondent member of the Hungarian Scientific Academy; Gábor Szentiványi (1888-1952) the lord lieutenant of the county of Háromszék, the victim of the former communist regime, and many others.
Investment possibilities: food industry (milling), agriculture, rural tourism and services. Szentiván is known for its home made bread, and the traditional Szekler kürtőskalács, and Sándor Fazakas’ home and bone carving shop can also be found here.